My Photo
Name:
Location: Bellevue, Washington, United States

Nathan is both a writer and designer of books and eBooks and is part-owner of boutique publisher Long Tale Press, LLC. He is available to help make your eBook or Book publishing project come alive with great book design.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Flight time

Ray dropped me at the Holiday Inn in Chatumel at about 3:00 this morning, then took off like a bat out of hell. Apparently he wanted to be back on the island before people stirred this morning. I slept till about 8:00 and then made travel arrangements to fly from here to Mexico City and from there to Croatia.

11:00 a.m.

The first order of business this morning after flight reservations was a change of identity. It has suddenly soaked into me what incredible risks I’ve been taking. I fled to the airport in Seattle disguised as a man and I’m thinking it was nothing short of a miracle that I made it through security and customs. Then I changed identities on Ambergris Caye and ended up fleeing for my life with a different alias under which I entered Mexico. But now I’m headed for Croatia, and the booking information that I’ve been able to get says that I connect in Paris on my way to Zagreb. I’m just not going to risk getting snagged by some European police department in disguise.


The clothes in my suitcases are totally inappropriate for the chilly weather of Croatia. According to the web, temperatures have been in the 30s and 40s throughout most of that region. So much for the balmy 70s and 80s of Belize. I thought the Dalmatian coast was supposed to be a sunny Mediterranean port!

I went shopping for clothing that was more plain, but it is pretty hard to find just regular clothes in a Mexican resort town. I’m blonde again and that looks a little incongruous with my very Mexican-looking huipil and print skirt. I also picked up pants and some underwear and a wool serape. I really don’t want to be caught in the cold. I pulled a rebozo scarf over my head when I went to the airport and checked into my flight clear through to Croatia as none other than Deb Riley.

I suppose that being dressed in these exotic clothes made me think more about being in disguise. I didn’t think anyone could possibly have tracked me over night to Chatumel and have any idea that I was heading for Zagreb. None-the-less, I don’t know Ray that well, in spite of the fact that he basically saved my bacon (and Teri) back in San Pedro. I watched the Mexican women who were boarding planes to various parts of Mexico and further south. There weren’t that many who were travelling by air. It was mostly men. As a result, they acted… small. That’s the only way I can describe it. They seemed to draw in on themselves. I, in my typical stand-tall American body, stuck out among them in spite of being dressed similarly. I started thinking differently of myself. I drew inward and shrank. Head bowed. Hands grasping a carry-on bag in front of me. Careful not to look furtive. Just blend in with the other women. Look small. Don’t make eye contact.

Okay. Gotta board the plane.

5:30 p.m.

I’m about to board my flight for Croatia. Here’s the thing. When I got off the plane in Mexico City, looking small as my 5’9” can go, the first person I spotted was Ray Hawkins. He was standing behind a pillar in the airport scanning the people who were getting off the plane. I fell in step with a nice Mexican man and pretended to be talking to him, keeping him between Ray and me.

He was watching for me!

That SOB must have driven half way across Mexico to catch a flight earlier than mine and sat in the airport watching to find out where I was going.

Okay, so he was waiting for Riley Finn, the redhead he met in San Pedro. I don’t think he recognized me, but for all I know he could be searching flight records for my name. Who is he? And why is he following me now?

I’m flying first class to Croatia, cost be damned. So I’ve been waiting in the first class passenger lounge watching out the window for any sign that he is near. I don’t see him anywhere, but I’ll feel a lot better when I get on that plane.

I took the opportunity to call Cinnamon who was more than happy to hear from me.

“Sugar, where are you?” she exclaimed when I got through.

“Mexico City,” I answered. “What’s up?”

“When do I get to go jet-setting like you?” she asked. “Or with you?”

“I’m sure you’ll get a chance,” I said. “Anything new happening?”

“Well, I’ve about got the office cleaned up. Do you want me to keep any of the furniture? Everything small enough to put in a box I put in one. But there is the torn up sofa, chairs, and desk.”

“This will sound crazy, but I’d like you to hire someone to put them in a storage room for me. I just want to be sure nothing is hidden in anything.”

“Whatever you say, boss,” she answered. “When are you coming home? I miss you.”

“It will be a few days yet. I’m going to go visit Angel for a couple of days.”

“That lucky bitch!”

“Cinnamon! I’ve put her in danger and I need to go warn her,” I said.

“Well, Angel always got whatever she wanted,” Cinnamon pouted. “You’d get the same reaction from any of the girls.”

“Cinnamon,” I said soothingly, “when you were cleaning up the mess, did you find the TV remote control by any chance?” I’d had the uncomfortable idea gnawing at the back of my mind for several days that if they’d taken the remote, I didn’t know how to get into the Vault.

“Funny. Yeah. Couldn’t believe they took the TV without taking the remote. I don’t think men know how to operate a TV if it doesn’t have a remote.”

“Just goes to show you. It could be a clue, so make sure it’s in the box.”

“Will do. By the way, that nice Silas Grant came by.”

“Did he now? And what did Mr. Grant want.”

“I think he wants to ask me out on a date,” Cinnamon said. “He’s handsome.”

“He’s way too old for you, Cinnamon!” I said a little too vehemently. What was I thinking?

“Jealous?”

“No! I’m not interested in Mr. Grant. And I won’t date a client. Now why did he come around?”

“He said he was worried about you. Frankly, I’d say you should be worried about him.”

“Why?”

“He was on crutches.”

“What happened?” I was shocked. Silas always seemed to be indestructible. I still remembered that he shot Oksama when a second later Oksama would have shot me.

“Apparently he was rushing somewhere early Friday morning over on the Eastside where all the power was out. He went through an intersection where there was no light and someone plowed into him from the side. He’s got a broken leg, but said that otherwise he was all right. He said that if he hadn’t broken his leg, he’d have gone to Belize after you himself.”

“Wait a minute. How did he know I was in Belize? Cinnamon?”

“Don’t ask me. I never said a word. I didn’t confirm that you were there like he expected, either. I just said that when you called in you didn’t say where you were. I played pretty dumb. I think he liked it.”

“Oh come on,” I said. “Silas likes strong women with intelligence.”

“Like you, you mean,” Cinnamon said. “I’m smart enough to know when to be clever. That’s enough. Besides, I didn’t do anything. But if he asks me out, I might just say yes.”

“All right. Here’s an opportunity for you to talk to him again. Sometime after 6:30 tonight call him. Be sure it is after 6:30. In fact, make it after 7:00. Tell him you heard from me and that I’m on my way to Croatia to visit Angel. She’s in danger from the bad guys, or I should say from the bad girl. Most of the guys are old and slow and squeamish. All except one guy who would have drowned me in the high seas. I’m going to try to protect Angel, and I’ll let him know when I get there exactly where I am.” Frankly, I wanted Silas as back-up, but I didn’t want to be followed without knowing who’s there.

“You got it. Anything else?”

“Yes. Call Teri and make sure she got home safely, would you please? She can tell you all about our big adventure in Belize.”

“She got to go with you? Deb-bie….” Cinnamon broke off quickly. “Oops. Sorry Sugar. You can spank me for that when you get home.” I swear she giggled.

I’m getting on board the plane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home